We tried a different recipe this time, this time based on the "One chicken - 3 ways" recipe that I found online.
This was a much smaller chicken, and it fitted into the varoma properly.
The recipe said to stuff it, but I didn't. Instead, I put half an onion, some tarragon, some thyme, some sage and some garlic butter in the cavity. I put a puece of garlic butter under the skin against each breast. Salt and pepper.
We steamed it for just over half an hour, then put it in the oven at 160 fan (180 equivalent), to brown. I'd already put the roasting tray in to warm up
We had one breast between us as part of a quick roast dinner. We'll have the other one tomorrow in a cheese sauce, followed later in the week by risotto and then maybe risotto balls again.
I liked this method more than the other, and I will use it again.
Next time I will put some butter on the bird just before it goes into roast.