Thursday 7 August 2014

Coleslaw, revisited

I tried Coleslaw again today.

I used Delia's Four Star Slaw recipe (from her Christmas cookbook)  as a base.

I didn't have one of the "stars", celeriac, nor did I have any soured cream. Nor spring onions.  But, apart from that, I used her ingredients and proportions.

I halved her recipe and, with my substitutions, this is roughly what I did.

  • Peeled about 150g of carrots, then cut them into 2 inch pieces.  I dropped these on the running blades at about speed 6 to make them a bit smaller.  They need to still be too big, as there will be further chopping shortly.  Scrape down bowl.
  • Added about 150g of white cabbage, 
  • Added half a stick of celery (cut into 1 inch pieces, should probably have done this with the carrot
  • Added some red onion - I didn't weigh it, sorry
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 tablespoon mayo
  • 1 tablespoon natural yoghurt (I used greek style)
  • A further 75g of yogurt to compensate for no soured cream
  • 1 tablespoon oilive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder1/2 tablespoon cider apple vinegar (should have been white wine vinegar, but I picked up the wrong bottle)
  • 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • I added some parsley to enhance the colour
  • salt and pepper.

I blitzed on speed 4 four about 6 seconds.

Lovely and fresh.  If you like your coleslaw a bit sweeter, I'd probably replace some of the yoghurt with mayonnaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment